Sunday, October 28, 2007

I'm getting old...

So...I have gotten to the point where I realize that fear of death has taken over the desire to have fun. Yesterday we spent the afternoon at Six Flags...thinking we would have a great time. We were wrong! I have not been so scared for my life in a long time! We rode a huge wooden coaster that was so jarring it was hard to enjoy. Then we went and stood in line for about an hour and a half for the Superman coaster.

I was fine until we got on the ride, then I started to freak out. They put you in this harness and even strap down your ankles because you get turned on your belly for the ride. Did you catch that...you ride this coaster on your belly with all your weight resting on this harness! I got in and got claustrophobic immediately. I had to make the guy let me out to take off my jacket, then I could not get locked in again which freaked me out! They kept calling out my seat number (they have sensors that tell them when a seat is not locked down) and the guy kept checking it but it was not locking! Finally they got it locked but by that time I just knew I was going to fall out and die! The entire ride I just prayed that God would let me make it through! And I did but I will not ride it again!

We then went to the Goliath, which is the largest coaster I have ever ridden...no loops but plenty of drops, and all you had to keep you on was a lap bar. I kept feeling like I was going to fall out there too. Chris got pretty freaked out on that one, said all he could think of the whole time was "what if this lap bar comes loose?" So... after about 5 hours and 3 rides, we were done. I think I will stick to Disney world next time, at least I did not fear for my life on those rides!

4 comments:

boxercab said...

I love Six Flags, including the Superman, but I probably won't be seeing it for a long time, since Luis' back surgery won't allow him to go.

I'm going through these new fears too. I'm much more of a germ-aphob these days than ever before.

bethiesny said...

A few years ago, Jason and I went to Cedar Point in Ohio with some friends. We waited 1.5 hours to ride the Top Thrill Dragster, which shoots you straight up 420 feet at like 200 mph. It was the scariest thing I've ever done in my life! But it was also amazing and an incredible rush.

I know what you mean about getting older, though. The rides are getting more insane, and we're all getting saner. :-)

Amy J said...

you've become too logical for such things as six flags!

Autumn said...

OMG I thought I was the only one that as I've gotten older (only 31) that I have developed these stupid fears. I think Carmen and I talked about this when I was visiting a few weeks ago. The things I used to love now start to "worry" me a bit. I used to be so stoked on flying now a bit of turbulence makes me sweat!! And my husbands and airline pilot!!! I am not allowed to be scared LOL!! So I feel your pain!!!!