Saturday, October 25, 2008

27 dogs

That was the assignment. Paint 27 dogs with acrylic and a brush, without sketching or planning them out. I have never painted before...but about halfway through, I kind of got into it. I started noticing a style that I was good at and kept going with it. I had a blast, although it did take me about 8 hours. I was not expecting any kind of praise, etc from anyone...I thought mine were just average but everyone freaked out. The teacher called me the "goddess" during class (that was embarrassing!) and she took my dogs and wouldn't let me have them back. I went into school the other day and there they were, right in the front hallway!!!! OMG! I never expected that, especially first quarter! And especially not with paintings!!!
This illustration class is really good for me. When I went to school at UTC, I wanted to be in the art department so bad but I just thought I was terrible at drawing and therefore I shouldn't even think about it. I took an art history class and I remember being so jealous of all the people in that building that got to study it all the time. I think if I had gotten into it back then, I would have never dropped out of school. This teacher, Lindy, is amazing. She makes you feel so good about your stuff, even when you don't think it is good. She sees the artistic value in everything. I wish I had met her years ago! I think I am learning that it is best to always follow your dreams no matter how good you think you are. Everyone is talented, some people just take more coaching than others.
I definitely think I am in the right place finally. It took me 14 years after UTC to get here but at least I finally got here. It is hard but it is definitely worth the work.

6 comments:

bethiesny said...

I always knew you were a goddess. :-)

Amy J said...

Leigh Anna!
This is so much fun. I'm so proud of you and I'm jealous—in the kindest way.
x.
aj

RLehman said...

You are very talented. Believe in yourself!

Unknown said...

Those are great! How cute!

boxercab said...

^that was me again. sorry!

Yarntangler said...

I would love to see a storybook based on those dogs, especially the blue ones. Wouldn't my granddaughter love it?