Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Sleeping with the ghosts

This past weekend was my last little get-away before I start school next month. Mom came down on Thursday and on Friday morning, we took off for Savannah, GA. Neither one of us had been before...I was amazed at how beautiful that city is. I took lots of pictures...this week was the last week of my photo class at Showcase...boo. It was a great class and got me at least a little up to speed before I start at Portfolio Center in October.
Savannah has quite a bit of history to it. It was originally the capital of Georgia and the American Revolution and the Civil War were both fought there. Many people died in Savannah, from war and yellow fever, among other things, and it has the reputation of being the most haunted city in America. We didn't do any "ghost tours" but we did stay in a haunted hotel called The Marshall House. It was a beautiful old building that was originally built as a hotel in the mid 1800's by Mary Marshall. Over the years, it served as a civil war hospital and a hospital for yellow fever patients during a major outbreak. Needless to say, there was a lot of suffering that happened at this hotel. It has been called on of the most haunted hotels in Savannah. (we did not know this when we booked it!) Anyways, we truly did not expect anything to happen.

The first night when we got ready to go eat dinner, we walked out in the hall and smelled a very old burning wood smell. It was only right outside our door. We walked down the hall and noticed some engineering employees going into a room that seemed empty. Coming back from a wonderful dinner, we passed the room again and the door slammed right as I got beside it. It scared the crap out of me and I ran all the way to our door! Later on that night, the bedside lamp turned on and off twice. I thought it was a loose connection but I checked the bulb and the cord and nothing was loose. It never happened again, the entire time we stayed there...that was the strange thing.

Our second night was quiet, no ghosts roaming around our room at least. Mom slept with a flashlight behind her head and would not get out from under the covers...she thought something was going to get her!

I'll leave you with a few more pictures from the trip...

2 comments:

bethiesny said...

As usual, your photographs are gorgeous! I am going to have to take some lessons from you. What kind of camera do you use?

The ghost stories are too much! I would have peed my pants and then run screaming to the nearest Hampton Inn. :-)

abby :: tfp said...

your photos are gorgeous leigh anna - you're going to blow everyone away at PC!