Wednesday, July 23, 2008

thoughts

Life is so complicated. It seems as if society is running at a pace now that would be hard to top. Oh, I am sure it will be done...sooner than later. Chris and I have been watching Mad Men, a AMC show based on the advertising world in the early 60's. Life seemed much simpler then, with the wives staying home and the husbands bringing home the dough. Not that I want to go back to that time, it just makes me think about how far women and society have come in the past 50 years. In the show, Don Draper, a creative director for a big agency on Madison Ave. in NY, has a wife and 2 kids, 2 mistresses, and drinks and smokes like crazy. During work. In his office. That kind of stuff would never fly nowadays. The women in the show are treated like they are children, except the few independent business women that you see (the mistresses of course) Men seem to always be drawn to powerful women, even back then. I'm not sure how accurate a depiction the show is but it seems to fit with what I know about the era.

Anyways, I think about those days and I see how much culture has changed. 50 years later, we are all running at breakneck speed. Makes me wonder where we will be 50 years from now? Will the USA still be around? Will we even see each other or will we communicate solely through our computers? If you have seen Wall•e, then you know what I am talking about. Part of me longs for a simpler time when you could enjoy the simple things without getting all wrapped up in the busy details. But that other part of me doesn't want to give up the luxuries this type of culture has afforded me. Sometimes I need to remember to enjoy my journey instead of getting wrapped up.

2 comments:

bethiesny said...

Interesting post. I think about simpler times, too, but then: if we didn't have email and internet and all the things that keep us connected, would people like us stay friends after they've moved away? Of course, they had telephones and letters... and there was the telegraph... and the Pony Express... :-)

boxercab said...

yeah i'm not sure if I would want to be in this life or a previous era either. But your last statement summed it up pretty well, we should just enjoy the present. :)